Wheat free pizza
The “crust” of this wheat-free pizza will not allow you to hold a slice in your hand, since it won’t have the clinginess of conventional dough. But it will certainly satisfy your craving for pizza – but with none of the undesirable consequences of wheat flour dough.
• Extra-virgin olive oil, at least 1/2 cup
• Cauliflower, 1 head
• 2 eggs
• 3 cups mozzarella cheese, chopped finely or shredded
• Sea salt
• 12 oz pizza sauce (without high-fructose corn syrup or sucrose, of course) or two 6-oz cans tomato paste.
• Choice of vegetable toppings: chopped peppers; sun-dried tomatoes; chopped onions or scallions; finely-chopped garlic; fresh spinach; sliced olives; chopped or sliced portabella mushrooms; fresh basil and oregano, etc.
• Choice of meat toppings: turkey sausage (see recipe), pepperoni (uncured); ground beef, turkey, or pork.
• Fresh or dried basil
• Fresh or dried oregano
• 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
• Black pepper
Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Spread some coconut oil onto pizza pan or other large backing pan.
Break apart cauliflower at stems into one- to two-inch pieces; steam or boil for 20 minutes or until soft.
Put cauliflower into large bowl and mash until consistency like mashed potatoes is achieved with no “chunks.”
Add 1/4 cup olive oil, two eggs, one cup mozzarella cheese, dash of sea salt. Mix by hand or blend with hand blender.
Add 1/2 cup of almond flour
Pour cauliflower mixture onto pre-greased pan and mold into flat, pizza-like shape, pressing “dough” into no more than 1/2 – inch thickness, bunching up edges.
Bake for 20 minutes. If meat is used, sauté separately until done.
Remove pizza “dough” and spread with pizza sauce or tomato paste, mozzarella cheese, vegetable and meat toppings, basil and oregano. Drizzle remainder of olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until cheese melts and remove.
Cut pizza into slices with pizza cutter or knife. Serve slices with pancake turner.
(Pizza will need to be eaten with a fork, since pizza slices will crumble upon lifting.)