Low Fat Lamb Korma
Low-fat lamb korma
- 3 tsp light olive oil
- 1kg diced lean lamb
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground mace
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 80ml (1/3 cup) cold water
- 1 large brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 x 200g container reduced-fat natural yoghurt
- Pinch of salt
- Boiled rice/cauliflower rice, to serve
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
Heat 2 tsp of the oil in a large heavy- based saucepan over high heat. Add one-quarter of the lamb and cook, turning occasionally, for 1-2 minutes or until brown. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining lamb in 3 more batches.
Heat the remaining oil in the same pan over medium-low heat. Add cumin, paprika, mace, cinnamon, garam masala and chilli, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in the water, onion, garlic and ginger, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until onion softens.
Increase heat to medium-low. Add lamb, stock and half the yoghurt, and stir to combine. Reduce heat to very low. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours or until lamb is tender. Remove from heat.
Add remaining yoghurt and stir until combined. Taste and season with salt. Spoon rice/cauliflower rice among bowls and top with the korma and coriander.
Big love, small tummies!
Jill – The Fat Controller