8 reasons to not join a gym in January if your goal is weight loss!
You are probably thinking that this is an insane statement to make from a fat loss coach right?
You can’t bake cookies in half the time by doubling the temperature
So hear me out first. There are many reasons why you should probably avoid the gym in January and I have summarised them below, but think about. We gain weight slowly, and not just because we aren’t active enough, but because of many lifestyle factors. We think we can torch fat fast by exercising and eating less when actually this approach can have the opposite effect and SLOW down our fat loss!
The biggest cause of weight gain for many is too much stress and not enough time. So do you thinking adding a punishing gym routine on top of an already stressed out body that is also going to try and start a new eating, sleeping AND on top of an exercise regime? A stressed body is less likely to give up it’s fat stores. So before I tell what you should do, here are my top 8 reasons to avoid the gym in January if you want to lose weight:
- 1 million other people will have the same idea and it will be PACKED out!
- You are probably tired and stressed. The last thing you need is MORE stress on top and exercise is a stress that only a healthy mind and body can cope with.
- You probably don’t have a clue about what type of exercise is right for you at this moment in time.
- You can change your body far more easily with your diet that you can exercise. You can make the biggest difference by simply making a few dietary changes.
- Exercise can actually increase your appetite. Especially if you add the wrong exercise to an overly stressed mind and body.
- You are best controlling your stress levels and improving your health first. A healthy body will be much more likely to burn fat. We need optimal metabolic hormonal balance to achieve fat loss. This doesn’t happen if you aren’t healthy first or well rested and nourished first.
- You possibly will be trying to change too much at once and it can lead to overwhelm, frustration and burn out… AND MORE stress!
- If you aren’t already a member you probably don’t even like the gym, so maybe it’s just not for you yet?
So instead? Here are some simple habits to master before I would recommend joining a gym! You my even find that you don’t need too join the gym:
- Walk everyday.
- Practice mediation and other forms of relaxation (I love to use Andrew Johnson’s Relax Apps)
- Get well hydrated & help our body to detox using extra greens such as Phil Richards Ultimate Greens
- Clean up your diet and optimise your nutrition. Follow my 7 day #Debeigetox here.
- Slow down your eating and practice being mindful of how much you eat and when. Keep a food journal or use an app to track your intake.
- Optimise your sleep hygiene. Lack of sleep will increase appetite and slow down fat burning
- Fast overnight for a minimum of 12 hours. Sleep is our prime time for burning fat if we manage our food intake during the day and eat the right foods leading up to bedtime and optimise the first meal of the day.
These are just some of the methods you could start to practice.
For more information on the best methods for fat loss, read ‘The Fat Controller Method’ here, something that took me 20 years of failing to discover!
So I have given you plenty of reason why you should avoid joining the gym in January if your goal is weight loss!
Big love, small tummies!
Jill – The Fat Controller
p.s join our growing community for more help around diet, nutrition and mindset #BanishtheBeige! Click to join here:
p.p.s I have put together a FREE 7 day plan to banish the beige and lose up to 7 lbs. Click here to start straight away!